Friday, July 11, 2008

D!ck Drost and his Naked City

In the not so distant past, a curious little man named Dick Drost and his parents Al & Edie operated a "nudist camp" near the town of Roselawn, Indiana.

I visited the camp in the late 1970's and early 1980's, it was unlike any camp I had ever visited. With its overt sexual stance and naked staff, (women only) behind the desk and serving in the restaurant, it was indeed unique for it's time.

I was young and full of vigor, among other things, and spent many months basking in what can only be described as the "naked aura" of the place. In this blog I intend to publish my Naked City experiences and what I know about D!ck and and his very unusual "nudist camp".

If you ever visited Naked City or have knowledge concerning it, I invite you to share your information through this blog. To some, Naked City was a weird place full of perverts and to others it was home; regardless of what it was to you I hope you will contribute whatever you have, information, photographs, or memorabilia, whatever.

Dick Drost and his Naked City are gone now but surely they remain in the collective memories of those of us who visited there. Let us not let this strange piece of Americana vanish...please help me turn this blog into an archive for yet another roadside attraction that has all but disappeared.

You can post any info you might want to share by clicking on the highlighted "comments" button, which is down just a bit and to the right. Right now it says 0 comments...I hope this will soon change.

Thanks,

D!ck

8 comments:

Stu O said...

I was Dick's helicopter pilot in '78 and '79. I have a birthday card he sent me just like the Happy Nude Year card you show here. It was Dick's trademark - he used the woman's right nipple to form the o in the word To.

Stu

Kris said...

My parents were friends of Al and Edie. I remember going there for the Nude America contests. My dad was a big guy and Al and Ede would ask him to be a bouncer for the event. I still have an old magazine Dick published. Scanned in in would love to show.

hipcat77 said...

Kris, can you please post any pages of that magazine by Dick Drost ? Thx !

ninasteel said...

Dick Drost started out in Chicago with a company called Air Check, the purpose of which was to watch TV commercials and report back to the advertiser if the ad ran without errors on it’s assigned television slot. The advertiser would not have to pay for the ad it the broadcaster failed to run it, as it was intended. So, the advertisers would pay Dick for watching TV commercials. Not such a bad job if you are confined to a wheel chair. His father, Al Drost, was an alcoholic and couldn’t hold a job to save his live. My grandfather Einar Hansen tried to help him out back in the 50's and 60's by sending work his way, but with little effect. Einar’s sister , Edith Hansen, a very kind woman married Al and had the one son Dick. She passed away from brain cancer in the early 80's. Sadly both Al and Dick stood idly by as she died. Dick did not believe in advanced medicine not allowing her to take aspirin even at the end. My father, Raymond Hansen, son of Einar Hansen, and I went down to Naked City many times to help out with the Miss Nude America contest. We were both there for the filming of Miss Nude America (1976) which was film in 1973 and 74. Both my father and I made brief appearances in the film. The guests at the resort were well mannered, about the same as you would see at Club Orient on the island of St Martin. It wasn’t until Edith died that the resort started to go south, turning into a biker and trucker stop among other things. Edith was the driving force that kept the resort on the straight and narrow, so much so that at least during the 60's through the mid 70's it was a place you could take the entire family. For a while Dick published an adult magazine, foolishly believing he could compete with Hugh Hefner. Dick squander vast amounts of money on a Comet passenger plane, once again trying to compete with Hefner. Ultimately, it was his inability to market the resort as a family nudist resort and invest in it that brought about it’s down fall.

Unknown said...

@ninasteel: I have done extensive research on Dick Drost and Naked city as I used to attend the camp with my family in the 1970's. I have written & copyrighted a book about the camp which is currently being shopped to publishers but I would love to interview you about your experiences at Naked City. Please contact me at: blankexpression@hotmail.com

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I remember camping there when I was a young girl. My mom and dad use to go all the time.I remember staying at a friends house there and running around the round house sneaking a peek at the parties. Does anyone remember Cisco Romantico?

Unknown said...

Does anyone remember nakedcity L.A. Up in hills between Hemet and Perris ca i worked there in 98 when i was 18 it was a mirrored building on 20-40 acres it would be cool to Talk to some of the other girls that worked with me kitty baby was my name there

Unknown said...

Does anyone remember nakedcity L.A. Up in hills between Hemet and Perris ca i worked there in 98 when i was 18 it was a mirrored building on 20-40 acres it would be cool to Talk to some of the other girls that worked with me kitty baby was my name there